Sunday, May 4, 2008

The new 'family' car

So this weekend saw the annual Beach Hop car meet at Whanagamata...

Mike was working and I had NSD... plus the weather was meant to be poo so we decided that this year we'd give it a miss. My mum and dad had a friends batch to stay at so they tried to change our minds but we said no.

Anyway... yesterday afternoon I get a call from my dad... hardly breathing, fumbling words... scary really. I had no idea what was wrong...

This year at the Hop they had a prize draw... purchase a programme for $5 and your name goes in the draw for a 1959 Pontiac Catalina... but you have to be at the draw.

My dad did and was there at the draw with my mama and my sister.

They do the draw and announce that they are going to call the cellphone number... the crowd goes dead quiet. My dads phone makes a noise... the crowd turns... "It'll just be one of my kids" he says to them... looks at the phone "unknown number"... dad's heart starts POUNDING!

Next thing he knows he is on the stage, shaking madly, as the crowd claps and he looks down at his new old car that cost him $5!

My brother raced over last night and we shot over early this morning... we are all smiling and just can not believe this...

The bottom photo is from the Beach Hop website... it was raining and the car was surrounded by people so it was hard to get a full frame shot ;) There are more photos on our Flickr.

I am so happy for my dad and for my mum... she has her own rad wheels to enter at next years hop. Love you both.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats just awesome Neen and how exciting. Can only imagine how it felt when the cell phone went off though!

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing, Neen! What a cool car, I bet your Dad can't stop smiling. Is he going to keep it?

PS. Savage was playing on your blog when I clicked on ... seemed to fit so well with the pics of that car!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

So it's become the new 'family' car has it? It's cool to hear of good things happening to good people - and that real people actually win these things. So are you allowed to drive it?

Anonymous said...

that's so exciting neen, i'm jumping up and down for you all! too bad you missed it, but that's so exciting. i can imagine what it must have felt like to have his phone go off at that moment, so crazy!!

Roo said...

Oh my can you imagine being the one to get the call - I would have freaked lol
Absolutely gorgeous car.

Cassandra said...

How exciting! Awesome car and helluva story for your Dad!

Trace said...

It's the coolest news for your Mum and Dad! So when do you get to cruise around in it Neen?? I bet your Dad will be smiling for a while!

Anonymous said...

Sweet ride Neen! Your dad must be smiling like a wee boy in a toy store - what a car man!

Anonymous said...

wow, that is awesome. The sensation of that happening in front of all of those people must have been a real buzz. I went all warm inside for your dad as I was reading it, and I don't even know any of you lol. Excellent