Saturday, January 3, 2009

Crashing into 2009


Sorry if you read both our blogs but it's just too long winded to type twice :)

So it was all going according to plan and then went a bit wrong at the end.We both had to work new years eve but I’d packed the car all ready to hit the road straight away. It took us 2.5 hours to get to Wenderholm, a reserve just up past Waiwera (Auckland). We got the tent up and settled in with Dan, Ash and their friends and a few drinks and drinking games.Then the rain came.We were all huddled under a gazebo that we couldn’t fit under so were hanging out the sides with umbrellas. once we all decided to turn in everyone seemed to find a leak in their tents… the rain was just too heavy. Mike grabbed the spade and dug a small trench outside our door to stop the water coming in too far (everyone had laughed when we turned up with a spade!).
By morning the sun was BEATING down… crazy hot. We headed for the beach and set up under the pohutakawas with books and games. It was an amazingly chilll day… like a real holiday should be. Mike and Dan went for a swim… and apparently that’s were it went wrong… I didn’t find out til later.After dinner Mike told me… he heart had gone into AF when he was in the water. This is only 7 hours later… naughty boy.So we jump in the car and hit the traffic jam into the city. We were in Emergency Care til 3.30am when the charge nurse tried to tell me I had to leave… and go where at 3.30am… home? Sleep in the car? Grrr… But the ward staff were lovely. They let me stay and even gave me a pillow. But a chair is never a bed and I got about 30 minutes sleep once I gave up and hit the tv room. Because Mike had eaten we had to wait. At 11.30 yesterday morning Mike was jump started again and is happily back in rhythm. I often think he has it easier… he at least gets to got to sleep while I pace the halls outside waiting for news.It was the same story as all the times before, just a different setting. We are getting a great collection of discharge papers from hospitals around the world now.That was our new years… hoping yours was less eventful than ours. Although having sat in an emergency room for 5 hours you realise just how much worse we could have it. Doesn’t stop it being scary though.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh what a full on New Years for you both.. I hope all has settled down since! hehe Can only improve for the rest of 2009

Trace said...

Oh Neen, that's just plain scary. Why don't I give you my cellphone number and at least if you get stuck in Auckland again you can give us a call - always a bed here for you babe, and no I don't care if you text me at three in the morning.

Mrs Frizz said...

OMG, not a good way to start the new year ... scary is right ...

I had to laugh though with the rain bucketing down and the spade - must have been a boy scout - be prepared.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, how scary! I am so glad to hear that Mike is okay now. Has this happened before then? Sounds like it. I was going to say the same as Trace, you could always come and stay with me. I'm in Whangaparaoa which is pretty close to where you were at Wenderholm.

Anonymous said...

glad he's okay now.. shouldn't he know better than wait to tell you though? i'm gonna have to kick that boy when we come out! you'll have to make an album to hold the collection of documents..

Penny said...

Man that is just plan awful!

Wish we could have offered you a bed! We're in the phone book ;)

Anonymous said...

What an eventful way to start the year. We were at Wenderholm on Jan 5th, a lovely spot.